There are many people who talk about the need to be successful online yourself before you teach others how to be successful. But is that really necessary?
Do you have to DO something in order to teach it? Or can a good teacher teach anything?
I’ve given this a lot of thought – and had a lot of arguments with a lot of “experts” about this. But as an Instructional Designer I can tell you…
A good teacher can teach just about ANYTHING!
Argue with me if you like, but let’s consider the evidence.[gn_list style=”star”]
- Have you ever known a teacher who was reassigned to a new topic that they didn’t know about? It happens all the time in schools that are having to rearrange staff.
- Did that teacher (if they were truly a great educator) jump in, learn the topic, and end up being one of the best teachers in that topic by the end of the school year? Sure they did!
- Have you ever seen a professional coach who didn’t play a day of professional ball still go on to coach a team to a championship? Sure you have!
A great teacher CAN teach just about anything.
Now let’s look at the other perspective…Can someone who can DO something teach someone else to do it? Not necessarily.[gn_list style=”star”]
- Have you ever had a straight A student try to tutor someone else? Just because they can do it themselves doesn’t mean that they can pick apart the process, understand how the student is thinking, diagnose what needs to change, then be patient enough to help them change.
- What about a star athlete with lots of natural ability? Are they able to understand why someone else is not equally coordinated, find out how to compensate for their lack of ability, and teach them how to enjoy the sport? Not without a lot of frustration!
And so it comes down to building a business and who you choose to learn from. Does someone have to have been successful in building a business themselves before they can teach someone else to do it?
Or could someone who is a great teacher learn the basics, implement some of the tactics to be sure they thoroughly understand them in order to teach, then show you how to build your online business?
Think about that for a minute, then let me know what YOU think below…